Wednesday, May 4, 2011

FELA.. THE MAN.. THE FASHION..!!

The cock crowed… I looked out of the window.. Alas.. Morning already.!!
“SO FAST”, I whispered to myself and pretended to still be asleep as I watch my Momma enter the room to my sister and I, out of the bed.
“WAKE UP, YOU WILL BE LATE FOR SCHOOL OHH”, Momma screamed. My sister hissed... Yeah, she has always been the stubborn one.
Our night wears went off and into the bathroom, we flew. Time waits for no man, Momma always said. The drums from the school could be heard right in the bathroom. We took turns to have our bath, with momma in attendance to supervise and scrub our backs because our little hands couldn’t go that far.
Poppa passed, humming a song I couldn’t hear. He always hums when he slept good and looked forward to an amazing day. Life then was simpler, not now when he is jetting off in a plane to this meeting or jumping into the car to race to that site. I rarely hear him hum nowadays.. I wake up to the sound of his revving car always.
“MUMMY,WHAT IS DADDY SINGING”,I asked.
“NOTHING,NNENNE.. JUST A SONG BY FELA”. She said, paying more attention to how I wash myself down there, than what I actually said.
“WHO IS FELA”, I wanted to ask. I was reminded by my little sister’s thumping feet, that she was tired of waiting to have her bath.
Poppa passed again... Then I heard him sing, “Water.. e no get enemy.. Water no get enemy eh”
We walked to school, me holding my sister tightly, keeping to one lane of the street like momma instructed. Glad I’d be seeing my friends soon, I kept singing on my way to school, “Water.. E no get enemy... water no get enemy eh”, over and over like a broken record, oblivious of momma trailing us in a car to ensure we reach school safely and talked to no strangers.
That's the only lyrics to Fela's song that I know. 
 LLL


A PICTURE FROM THE FELA BROADWAY SHOW,HELD IN LAGOS.
*DROOLING ON THE TURBANS AND KITTEN HEELS.. GORGEOUS.!!*

Over the years, I have never wrapped my head around the person called Fela. I was too young to understand anything, except watch a clip of his burial during 9pm news on TV.
I heard about his mum in social studies class, but I never heard of his songs. Me and music aren’t lovers…!!! *shrugs*
Fela on Broadway came to Lagos, everyone was excited. I wasn’t and made no effort to go. “I THINK I AM THE ONLY ONE NOT INTERESTED IN THIS FELA WHATCHUMACCALIT”, I tweeted. Now I regret because it sounded like fun. I probably would have snoozed all through, but then I would have been there to witness it, right?


AMAZING MAKEUP. I LOVE THE NOSE RING. :)
POW..!!!!

I JUST WANNA SNATCH HER EARRINGS.. *SIGHS*
PORTRAIT OF FELA ANIKULAPO KUTI 
FELA AND HIS WIVES..
LOOK AT HIS PANTS AND HIS SHOES... BAWSE..!!!!
FELA PLAYING THE WHATCHAMACALLIT.. SAXOPHONE,YH?
I AM SORRY,MY ATTENTION IS ON THE DRESS OF THE LADY STANDING..
LITTLE FASHION PHOENIX AND MY SIBLINGS.
THAT HAIRSTYLE.. OHMYGOSH.. X_X

Looking through pictures, I am more fascinated about the fashion I see going on. His tapered pants, The turbans the dancers/wives wore, The makeup, The way he wore his unbuttoned shirts.. HE WAS A BOSS..!!
FELA, Pioneer of afro beat, human right activist and political strongman.
My heart swells with pride that I was born when he was still alive. Most of you must have met him, Many of you would know his songs off heart, A lot of you, Nigerian readers must have gone for the show.
I am still pleased I was born when he was alive.
THAT’S ENOUGH FOR ME. J
REST IN PEACE, FELA! SING FOR GRANDMA AND GRANDPA FOR ME.

HUGS,KISSES AND LOVE,
FASHION PHOENIX.

3 comments:

Courtney Erin said...

Wow, what a stunning post!

xoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com

The Corner Shop said...

He got that unbuttoned shirt act down pat! Love this post

Adiya

Dominique W. said...

Wow this is cool! So full of life and culture I love it. Also thanks for stopping by my blog and following. I have definitely returned the favor. :-)